Friday, August 12, 2005

a true american hero

You are probably already aware of Cindy Sheehan, the grief-stricken mother who's camped out in front of Bush's Crawford ranch. If not, here's a catch-up article from CNN.

Of course, the right-wing attack dogs have already struck, spreading mud and misinformation about her, but luckily, trustworthy David Brock at Media Matters has catalogued both the impotent smear campaign and the dishonest attempt to deny it.

Wingnut Michelle Malkin actually had the gall to suggest that she "can't imagine Army Spc. Casey Sheehan would stand for his mother's crazy accusations." Yeah, she probably understands what a man she has never met would stand for better than his mother would. Talk about dishonestly using someone's grief to score cheap political points.

Regardless, the good thing about Sheehan is that although her critics can criticize her intentions or the intentions of those who support her, it's her words of honesty and wisdom that cut to the heart of the issue.


It’s ironic, given the attacks leveled at me recently, how some in the media are so quick to scrutinize -- and distort -- the words and actions of a grieving mother but not the words and actions of the president of the United States. . .

There is too much at stake to worry about our own egos. When my son was killed, I had to face the fact that I was somehow also responsible for what happened. Every American that allows this to continue has, to some extent, blood on their hands. Some of us have a little bit, and some of us are soaked in it.

People have asked what it is I want to say to President Bush. Well, my message is a simple one. He’s said that my son -- and the other children we’ve lost -- died for a noble cause. I want to find out what that noble cause is. And I want to ask him: “If it’s such a noble cause, have you asked your daughters to enlist? Have you encouraged them to go take the place of soldiers who are on their third tour of duty?” I also want him to stop using my son’s name to justify the war. The idea that we have to “complete the mission” in Iraq to honor Casey’s sacrifice is, to me, a sacrilege to my son’s name. Besides, does the president any longer even know what “the mission” really is over there?

When I read about her, I was impressed with her courage and her willingness to speak out. When I saw her on "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" last night, I was blown away by the calm, logical, and factual manner in which she presented her case.

Honestly, I can't imagine the anti-war movement getting a better spokesperson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here